Canoe Wild is situated at the 3 miles east of Canterbury, Kent. Our attraction has 2 sites offering easy access to the River Stour for launching canoes and accessing local facilities for food, shops, picnic’s, toilets, transport, parking and accommodation for camping and guest houses.
Our site at Fordwich is 3 miles from Canterbury and situated on the River Stour at the end of Garden of the George and Dragon Public House CT2 0DB this is an ideal location for those 1/2 day and full day hirer’s, with ample on street parking on Fordwich Rd, Sturry and just 1/2 a mile from Sturry railway station.
Just 10 minutes drive down the road but 5 miles by river is the Kent County Council Grove Ferry Picnic Site CT3 4BP there is ample parking for cars and coaches, with park toilet facilities including disabled access to Radar toilet, Geocache, river and a play area, across from the car park is the Grove Ferry Public House and the Stodmarsh Nature Reserve. Camping is available at Nethergong Campsite Nethergong Hill, Canterbury, Kent CT3 4DN http://www.nethergongnurseries.co.uk/camping.php a cool camping campsite.
We have a shuttle which will runs between our sites to return you back to your car or the Sturry train station after your paddle. This is a flexible courtesy service and we are also happy to pick up anyone staying at the Nethergong campsite who wants to hire a canoe from us.
Fordwich to Grove Ferry by Canoe!
Season – 1st April to October 31st every day From 09:00 to 17:00 last hire at 16:00
( our BCU courses and canoe school may run outside these times , please ask)
Winter – 1st Novermber to March 31st – By appointment only or see our winter schedule
All are welcome canoeing is a fantastic safe family activity young children and toddlers are welcome. We provide full life jackets for 8 years and younger and all other participants must wear the buoyancy aids provided. Customers do not need to be able to swim as all customers will be required to wear our floatation aids.
- Both Sites, but RADAR Disabled facilities are at the Grove Ferry Picnic site only
- The Grove Ferry Picnic site has tarmac spaces for over 50 cars
- The George and Dragon carpark is gravel with 2 disabled bays. The car park reserved for patrons, however if you are canoeing and then intend to use the pub please ask for a Canoewild parking badge for your car. Additional free parking is available on Fordwich Rd.
- Access to the Launch
- At the Grove Ferry Picnic Site, our staff will meet you in the car park and provide you with the required equipment before going to the canoe launch assross the grass and down a short slope (care must be taken walking down the slope) currently access onto the launch via a wheelchair is not advised.
- At the George & Dragon, Fordwich access is through the pub garden under the willow tree, currently access directly onto the launch via a wheelchair is not advised.
- Staff are willing to assist the less able where possible to access the launch. Customers with disabilities are welcome, although ability to swim is not necessary please ensure you have a degree of confidence on the water.
- The George & Dragon Pub & Grove Ferry Pub both (child friendly)
- The Grove Ferry picnic site is a great place to have a picnic or barbeque.
- Co -op Sturry High St & Upstreet Post Office ( Both do sandwiches)
- Cool Camping at Nethergong CT3 4DN
Train service – Sturry train station service from London is every 1 hour either from St Pancreas or Charing Cross and only 4 minutes travel time from Canterbury west. Trains leave Canterbury West at 24 minutes past the hour. We offer a free pick up available from Sturry Station but please book. Regular trains are also available from Ramsgate.
Bus Route – From Canterbury number 8 & 8A every 15 minutes please stop -
- For - Fordwich George & Dragon Pub – stop at Sturry, Railway Station
- For – Grove Ferry Picnic site – stop at Upstreet, Grove Ferry Hill
Cycle & Walking – National Cycle route 18
- Longleys – 01227 710777
- Z Cars – 01227 444444
We Look forward to welcoming you for a great day out. If you have any queries or require assistance please phone us 01227 469219 or email us at email@example.com
How to get there…
Walk or Cycle
The Stour Valley walk runs the same course as the cycle route and will take about 50 minutes from Canterbury. Take the national cycle route 1 which is 2.5 miles Canterbury to Fordwich. The map opposite gives a clear view of your routes.
Sturry train station is on the main line to London and the first station out of Canterbury West. Turn to head to Canterbury coming out of the station and follow the signs to Fordwich. Just over the bridge, ½ a mile walk down the road, you will see us next to the river (at the end of the George & Dragon Pub garden).
Bus number 8 runs every 15 minutes from Canterbury to Sturry. From Sturry centre walk down Fordwich Road, just after the bridge you’ll see Canoe Wild on the left as you walk over the river at the George and Dragon pub on the riverbank.
Cycle route from Canterbury to Fordwich
Fordwich George and Dragon CT2 0DB – We have ample on free street parking on the Fordwich Rd or if you have booked a meal at the George and Dragon parking is available in the pub carpark please let us know if you wish to park at the pub as we will need to provide you with a Canoe Wild badge for the car.
Grove Ferry Picnic site CT3 4BP – The Picnic site has 2 pay and display car parks with a large number of spaces, prices are currently £1.20 per day during the week and £1:70 per day at weekends.